Have you noticed that designs you really like inspire you to find all kinds of variations?
As artists, creativity starts with asking, “What if?”
Some of the questions I asked myself about this cute little owl:
- What if I made him in colored clay, instead of coloring the clay with mica powders?
- What if I changed the head to an exotic bird, like a toucan?
- What if I used black clay as the base color?
- What if I mixed the micas into the clay?
- If I changed it to a cat’s head, would it be a cat bird? (hehehe)
These kinds of questions will always lead you deeper into developing your own creative voice.
What variations would you make?
Tools & Materials:
- Polymer clay
- Mica powders
- Clay blade
- Single edge razor blade
- Craft knife
- Bent needle tool
- Paint brushes, one for each color of mica powder
- Leather stamping set
- Liquid clay
- Texture sheet
- 2 8mm crystal rivolis, chatons, or beads for eyes
- 8mm jump ring for bail
Enjoy the video and happy creating!
Watch the Two Ways to Make This Darling Owl video on YouTube.