In last week’s Gentle Breezes earrings video we used a purchased texture plate to make a texture in polymer clay. It’s a quick and easy way to do it, but I really prefer to create my own textures.
In today’s video I give you a wide variety of ideas for creating unique textures for your polymer clay projects. Not only can you use unexpected household items, but consider going outdoors to see what you can find. Or just take a closer look at everything.
Who’d a thunk it? Peach pits!
Here are several ideas that didn’t make it into the video:
- Using bits and pieces in handmade texture tools
- Using scrap clay for handmade texture tools
- More ideas for using a hot glue gun to make texture rollers
- Yet more clay rollers, hers are pottery, but polymer would work just fine
- Making textures with pasta!
- This video by Anna Oriona shows how to make 10 textures using simple tools
To make my textures I like to use Easymold Silicone Putty. If you don’t have a pasta machine to roll the sheets an Acrylic Clay Roller will work just fine. Texturing tools you may find helpful:
- Sculpey Style and Detail Tools (ball tools)
- Clay Blade
- Armor All (not needed if using silicone molds)
Enjoy the video and happy creating!
Watch the Creating Textures For Polymer Clay video over at YouTube.
4 thoughts on “Creating Textures For Polymer Clay Video Tutorial”
What a great idea! The lace pattern is probably my favorite.
Yes, I love that one, too.
Sandy, you are using my picture without my permission. Please either remove it from your blog or give the proper reference and credit. Here is the link to my original post: http://polymertutorials.blogspot.com/2015/09/polymer-clay-texture-ideas.html#comment-form
So sorry! The photo did link to your article, but I neglected to credit you by name in the post. That has been corrected.
Thanks again for the great texture idea!