This week’s dragon is Florence. She was supposed to be a quick and easy dragon this week. In fact, I was thinking that perhaps I could use this “quick and easy” dragon to get caught up on the one dragon that I’m behind because of the week I was sick.
To learn why I’ve challenged myself to make a dragon every week in 2015 check out this post on Errol, dragon #1.
Making the armature and building up the base body went quickly, but adding all those little swirls and dots took forEVAH.
Click on any of the photos for a closer look.
Both the people that have seen her in progress have described her as “psychedelic.” I guess so, I think of her more as a tie-dyed look. Whatever you call it, she certainly is colorful!
All of the spirals and swirls on her body were made by chopping up a mixture of my scrap blue and green clays, rolling them into a log, and then putting that log into my extruder with the very thin spaghetti disk. The resulting strings are all the different shades of blues and greens that you see here.
The wings were fun to do, I traced the shapes onto an index card and then used leftover extruded bits of clay to shape them.
A fun project and an interesting one, but definitely not quick. 🙂
If you’d like to keep up with my dragon creations this year, I’ve made a Thursday’s Dragon Pinterest board just for them.