Dear readers, yesterday was our Thanksgiving celebration here in the U.S. and I took the day off to spend with family and friends. But I want to be sure to let you know that I am so very thankful for YOU.
You, my dear readers, whether I hear from you or not, are the reason for this blog. I write to inspire and encourage you. Thank you all for your kind encouragement, comments and participation in this blog. 🙂
Now, doesn’t it seem like time to make some dangly and sparkly pretties for the holidays?
Not to ornament the tree, but to decorate us!
I had these Swarovski crystal hearts in my stash and thought they would be lovely dangling from lengths of silver chain.
Learn all the details of how to make them in the video over at YouTube.
- 2 silver plated or sterling silver ear wires
- 3 1/2 -4 inches silver plated chain, approximately 15 links per inch
- 2 6mm Swarovski crystal bicone beads, Siam red
- 4 4mm Swarovski crystal bicone beads, crystal clear
- 6 10mm Swarovski crystal hearts, 2 in Siam red, 4 in clear
- 18 inches 24 gauge sterling silver or sterling silver filled wire
- chain nose pliers
- round nose pliers
- wire cutters
- nylon jaw pliers, to straighten wire as necessary
1. Separate chain into two 1-inch lengths, two 1/2-inch lengths and two 1/4-inch lengths.
2. To wire wrap heart beads start with a 13 inch piece of wire. This should be enough to do all six hearts.
Slide 24 gauge wire into hole of a Swarovski crystal heart, leaving ½ inch sticking out on one side. Bend both wire ends up at 90-degree angle to hole of bead. Bend wires over top of bead, making a triangle shape. Where wires cross bend ends of wire up, perpendicular to bead hole. Trim shorter wire to 1/8 inch from bend.
Bend longer remaining wire at 90° angle. Grasp bend with round nose pliers and wrap wire around pliers as far as possible to start to make a loop. Reposition pliers to finish loop. Use pliers to slightly open loop and slide on end link of a piece of chain.
Hold loop in non-dominant hand with chain nose pliers and use dominant hand to wrap remaining wire around 1/8 inch of wire above heart bead. Trim excess wire and use chain nose pliers to tuck in end, if necessary. Repeat for remaining Swarovski crystal hearts. Don’t forget to slide on chain before wrapping loops!
3. To wire wrap bicones cut a 5-inch piece of 24 gauge wire.
Use chain nose pliers to grasp wire 5/8-inch from end. Bend wire at 90° angle. Grasp bend with round nose pliers and wrap wire around pliers as far as possible to start to make a loop. Reposition pliers to finish loop. Wrap remaining wire around wire below 90° bend. Use wire cutters to trim, if necessary. Use chain nose pliers to tuck in end.
Slide on a 4mm Swarovski crystal bicone, a 6mm Swarovski crystal bicone and a 4mm Swarovski crystal bicone.
Use chain nose pliers to grasp wire right where it exits last bead. Bend wire at 90° angle. Grasp bend with round nose pliers and wrap wire around pliers as far as possible to start to make a loop. Position the wire farther up the pliers this time to make a slightly larger loop, this will be needed to accommodate all three chains. Reposition pliers to finish loop.
Slide on remaining ends of 1/2-inch length of chain, 1-inch length of chain and 1/4-inch length of chain. Hold loop with chain nose pliers and wrap remaining wire around wire below 90° bend. Use wire cutters to trim, if necessary. Use chain nose pliers to tuck in end.
Repeat with remaining Swarovski crystal bicones and remaining lengths of chain.
4. Open out loop in each ear wire and slide on remaining loop with Swarovski crystal bicones. Close loops to complete your earrings.